Friday, January 18, 2008

Looks like


West Park 01, originally uploaded by Chambo25.

So last night it was snowing outside and I decided to try and take some superfun long exposure shots from the front porch here. I wanted to capture the play of snowflakes under the streetlights, and in a sense I did. The resulting images were much different than what I expected for two reasons:

1. the incandescent bulb in the street light created the beautiful orange glow you see, a shade of lighting that my eyes had adjusted to drown out quite a bit and balance into a much more blue-hued tone

2. the exposure was long enough that the flakes I saw drifting downward as individual specks became streaks that almost look like rain.

Still, in spite of the differences between the photos I imagined I would take and what actually came out, I am very happy with this one in particular. If you click on it Flickr gives you an option to view "all sizes" where you can see a much bigger version of it. One thing that becomes clearer at full size is that the green of the street sign actually does read through the orange that saturates nearly the entire frame.

You can also see the snow accumulating on wires, branches etc.

I hope you like this photo as much as I do. Sure, my fingers and toes were a bit chilly when I wandered back inside, but it was worth it! Happy January!

No comments: