Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Quick Sloppy Writing

So, I've looked a bit at my last post, and it was very poorly written. Everybody in the movies I was talking about did, "a great job" or was really neat or cool. Granted, I was trying to get out the door, writing the post was an afterthought, and I really mostly wanted to say, "hey world... I just saw these cool movies and you should check them out too."

That all said, I thought it was worth elaborating a bit. I think that Children of Men is remarkable in a visual sense, both because of the choices to make the movie with many long takes, and lots of beautifully captured moving, fluid scenes. The whole thing feels very well composed, and the performances of Clive Owen and others are part of that composition. They fill this bleak landscape with a weariness that is pierced with hope, and that quality is something I found very powerful throughout the movie. Some scenes and events are remarkably awful, but the whole thing doesn't feel overwhelmingly doom & gloom.

As for Mother Night, again, there's an interesting mix of the comic and the tragic. Alan Arkin and Nick Nolte are truly great throughout, and John Goodman's normal schtick works remarkably well. I've seen some pretty blah (breakfast of champions) translations of Vonnegut's work for screen, and I think this one is pretty remarkably well done in keeping his odd, but enjoyable, light but world-weary narrative quality.

No comments: