Saturday, September 27, 2008

R.I.P. Paul Newman

Just a quick little tribute post here to Paul Newman, film icon, business and corporate/nonprofit partnership pioneer. I'm a fan of his dressing, the core product that his food empire was built on, and like so many I'm a fan of may of his films (Cool Hand Luke, anyone??? Badassssss).


Meanwhile I'm also a huge fan of the way his food empire was structured to move all the post-tax profits to various charities. He got into the food industry on a whim, and took his success with a grain of salt in many ways, but when it came to the windfall from the enterprise he handled it all in a very classy and dynamic way. The Hole-in-the-Wall Gang Camps are a wonderful enterprise and his giving extends way beyond this particular charity. I would love to see this model take off and more brands out there offering high quality products with proceeds being poured into building a better world.

No comments: