Tuesday, June 03, 2008

13 Seasons + A Return Home to Bow Out = Classy

Mike Lieberthal took his final bow, retiring from Marjor League Baseball Sunday after signing a one-day contract for $4 to end his career with the Philadelphia Phillies, where he played 13 seasons. I grew up watching some rough patches with the Phils, and Lieberthal caught through some difficult seasons in the Vet and beyond.

I was also interested to read that the last player who retired in this fashion from the Phillies was Center Fielder Doug Glanville. My family and I watched Glanville play single-A ball in the Cubs farm system one summer in upstate NY, then when he came over to the Phillies it was a pleasure to watch him hold down the fort in Center Field.



Just a little Phillies fan moment here on Math Day!

More details on Lieberthal's final day in the bigs.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Yes! I love the reference to Doug Glanville -I remember him being a class act even back in his young single-A days!