Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Zombie Army, Here I Come!

Awesome piece over at Slate today about the press (and bloggers') inability to find the right wording to describe Barack and Michelle exchanging a quick fist pound before his speech last night. I saw a post about this moment that evening (over at the Jed Report) and about how charming it was, but honestly I didn't pick up on it as it happened. Now I wish I had! I'm not going to lie, saying much nay anything about the cool factor related to things like this is exactly what feeds right wing talk about a zombie Obamaniac army full of people who simply drool over how amazing their candidate is and blah blah blah blah blah.

I'm sorry, I guess I just don't care. These two, Barack and Michelle, are two smart, poised, incredibly successful people, and I believe they will both provide remarkable leadership to our country in the years to come. Not only that, but they seem like genuinely cool folks, whether it jumps out in moments like Michelle's conversation with people in Indiana about her difficult choice to work and pay off student loans while worrying about this choice and her desire to be the absolute best mother to her two daughters or in a momentary fist pound during a well deserved moment of celebration. Last night was a remarkable night, and while I don't support Obama because I think that he and his wife are cool people, I do think it's fun to see someone succeed in this level of politics and still actually come across as normal, even cool.


Previous indicator that I'm an Obama zombie: my excitement to see him brush the dirt off his shoulders, Jay-Z style.

No comments: